About Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm
Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm is the second game of the Starcraft II trilogy and is technically an expansion pack for the first part of the trilogy, Starcraft II Wings of Liberty. Set two years after the events of Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm single player story campaign centers on the Zerg race and the protagonist Sarah Kerrigan. Since the events of Wings of Liberty, the Zerg have split into a number of factions, Under Kerrigan, players battle against other Zerg broods and their queens in order to bring the Zerg under a single leader with the ultimate goal of revenge against the Emperor of the Terran, Arcturus Mengsk.
Features & New Units
The Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm single player story campaign contains approximately 20 missions that begin two years after the events in Wings of Liberty. The selection of missions will be similar to the previous game as well, with the player having option of deciding between some of the missions based on progress or completion of previous missions.
The multiplayer component of Heart of the Swarm will feature new units for each race as well as new upgrades from buildings and abilities from existing units. In total there are 7 new multiplayer units while some existing units from Wings of Liberty have been removed as a result of the changes. The seven new units include the following for each race:
- Hellbat - The Hellbat is a revamped Hellion that converts from the Hellion type buggy into a walking battle mech. The Hellbat is described as being effective against large numbers of melee units and weak against armored units. The Hellbat is strong against Zergling and Zealots; Weak against Baneling, Stalkers and Marauders.
- Widow Mine - The Widow Mine is a another mechanical unit produced from the factory that are cloaked and can be placed behind enemy lines or in high traffic areas for maximum damage. The Widow Mine causes explosive/shrapnel damage when activated. This unit is strong against Marauder, Roach, and Immortal units and weak against the Raven, Overseer and Observer.
- Mothership Core - The Mothership Core is a defensive unit used to counter early attacks/rush techniques from all races in multiplayer games. It uses a ranged cannon similar to the photo cannon to ward off attackers from air and ground. It is strong against the Widow Mine, Zergling, and Zealots while being weak against Viking, Mutalisk and Phoenix.
- Oracle - The Oracle is a Protoss air unit that fast moving and lightly armored used primarly for reconnaissance and attacks upon resource gathering units. The Oracle is strong against SCV, Drone and Probe units while being weak against Vikings, Mutalisk and Phoneix units.
- Tempest - The Tempest is long range capital ship air unit that is provides support combat through long range weaponry against both air and ground units. It is strongest against non air defense units such as the Swarm Host, Siege Tank and Colossus. The Tempest is weak against Viking, Corruptor and Void Ray units.
- Swarm Host - The Swarm Host is a siege unit that burrows into the ground spawning wave after wave of the free temporary Locust units. The Swarm Host is good against a subset of ground units including the Marine, Stalker and Roach units but weak against other ground units such as Baneling, Hellion and Archon.
- Viper - The Viper is a new Zerg air unit that when drained can recharge energy from Zerg buildings. It is effective against ranged ground units making them strong against Siege Tanks, Colossus and Hydralisk but is weak against Viking, Mutalisk and Phoenix.
Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm world wide release date of March 12, 2013
ESRB Rating: M for Mature
PEGI Rating: 18
Genre & Theme
Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm is a sci-fi real time strategy game where players control armies, resource gathering and base building in order to conquer opposing forces on a map.